UMass Summer Programs Blog

blogSlider.png

Come to UMass Amherst for the summer of a lifetime!

Jump! 2016 Staff: Introducing Symone Green

Posted by Symone Green on Apr 11, 2016 2:49:00 PM

Bio:

Hey! I’m Symone and I will be a Sophomore here at UMass this upcoming fall. I’m an English major and a Education/Linguistics minor (I’m not quite sure yet). I do know that I plan on using my degree to teach English as a Second Language. I came to UMass undeclared, but I got involved with ESL instruction through UMass’ wide variety of community service opportunities, and have been in love with it since. I am also a member of the Not Ready for Bedtime Players, a comedy troupe on campus that focuses on sexual health education. My favorite part about Umass is its wide variety of activities. From RSO events to Intramural Sports, there’s always something fun going on to participate in. I’m looking forward to seeing what Amherst/Northampton has to offer this summer, from tea shops to live music and art events that happen right here in Western Mass!

Read More

Topics: UMass Amherst, 2016, summer, Jump!, PAs

Jump! 2016 Staff: Introducing Graham Sahagian

Posted by Graham Sahagian on Apr 9, 2016 2:30:00 PM

Bio:

Hey ya'll, My name's Graham and I'm a rising Junior  Finance and (Mandarin) Chinese Language double major.  It's my 4th semester working at  Greeno, one of seven cooperatively run student businesses here at UMass. Did you know UMass Amherst has the most student business of any college in America? One of the best things about UMass is the colours it displays during Autumn, cant. freakin. wait. I also host a radio show each week during the school year on 91.1 WMUA, our college's radio voice. I'm amped to speak some Chinese this summer and for my skin to turn golden brown again. Playing and writing music is something I love doing  so when i'm not outside I'll probably be in my DIY studio. 
Read More

Topics: UMass Amherst, 2016, summer, Jump!, PAs

Top 8 Places to Eat in Amherst

Posted by Brock Parent on Apr 8, 2016 4:57:02 PM

INTRODUCTION:

Lily's fantastic post about the best sandwiches on campus last week got me thinking - what are all of the other amazing places to eat (sandwich-shops included) that are not on campus but scattered throughout downtown Amherst? Considering we are consistently ranked among the top college towns in the country, with a large portion of that coming from the terrific restaurants in town, an expert's take (mine) on the best places to eat in town seemed warranted for the readers of this blog who will soon be frolicking (and eating) all throughout town. Ranking them will be incredibly difficult, but in the name of your stomach and happiness I would highly recommend checking out each of these local joints!

Read More

Topics: 2016

Jump! 2016 Staff: Introducing Maddie Stump

Posted by Maddie Stump on Apr 7, 2016 2:52:03 PM

Bio:

I'm currently pursuing a double major in Public Health and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) as well as Five College Certificates in Queer and Sexuality Studies and Reproductive Rights, Health, and Justice. On campus I'm currently involved with a student organization called Gender Liberation UMass which is a group of student activists working with and without the university's administration to promote the rights of transgender students on campus. 

Read More

Topics: 2016, summer, Jump!, PAs

Jump! Local Adventures: Mass MoCA

Posted by Lily Cigale on Mar 30, 2016 10:00:00 AM

For me, summer is always a time of creativity. You're out of classes and don't have to worry about grades or deadlines, so your brain is free to explore and create. Summer is the time when we love to read big novels, travel to beautiful places, grow colorful flowers, and maybe try our hand at a type of art we haven't tried before.

Read More

Topics: 2015, UMass Amherst, 2016, summer, Jump!

Jump! Academics: Honors 201, Ideas That Change The World

Posted by Brock Parent on Mar 28, 2016 10:00:00 AM

One of my favorite courses that I have taken at UMass, and the one that actually led to my job with UMass Summer, is Honors 201: Ideas That Change The World. Honors 201 is an introductory honors requirement that challenges students to think critically about our world and the profound ideas that shaped it. A close connection is maintained in the course between the concept of the historical innovator and the concept of the student as potential creator. All students in the Jump! program for incoming undergraduates will take this course over the summer, so I wanted to articulate my experience in the course, the ways it shaped my personal growth and development, and shed a light on the professors who will actually be teaching the Jump! sections of Honors 201 this summer.

Read More

Topics: UMass Amherst, 2016, Jump!

Jump! Local Adventures: Mt. Holyoke

Posted by Lily Cigale on Mar 8, 2016 3:16:27 PM

Today, I walked to class without a winter jacket on and it was magical. The past couple of months have been chilly at the University of Massachusetts. Getting to class has meant gathering your will power, covering every inch of bare skin, and braving the cold wind. That's winter in Massachusetts and we all know what we signed up for. But we also know that the year keeps turning and that summer is never too far away. Walking to class today wearing just a sweater and enjoying the mild breeze got me thinking about the warm and beautiful walks and hikes that lie in store for us this summer. One of my favorites is the highest peak in the pioneer valley, Mt. Holyoke. 

Read More

Topics: 2016, summer, Jump!

Jump! Local Adventures: Flayvors of Cook Farm

Posted by Lily Cigale on Mar 2, 2016 3:28:02 PM

As the days get warmer and the grass gets greener, there is an air of excitement around UMass Amherst. Even though there are still small grey patches of snow around campus, students are reminiscing about last summer and starting to imagine exciting new possibilities for the one to come. I, for one, know exactly what I'll be doing this summer: I'll be spending my summer in the beautiful Pioneer Valley area working for UMass Summer Programs! We have programs for incoming UMass students and for high school students. As we start to do recruitment and planning for Summer 2016, I find myself looking back on my fond memories of last summer, the amazing program participants that I got to spend time with, and the fun local adventures we took. 

Read More

Topics: 2016, summer, Jump!

Summer Programs Faculty Focus: "Moving Beyond Genes" with Dr. Craig Albertson

Posted by Lily Cigale on Feb 26, 2016 1:36:45 PM

Dr. Craig Albertson is an Associate professor in the Biology department here at UMass Amherst. The Albertson Lab focuses on the development and evolution of complex morphologies. In other words, How do complex structures and shapes develop from a single-cell embryo? What makes the human hand different from the horse’s hoof, the bat’s wing, or the flipper of a whale? Dr. Albertson is looking for two bright and passionate high school students to join his team and work in his lab alongside faculty and graduate students. 

Read More

Topics: 2016, Lab, summer

Summer Programs Faculty Focus: About Entrepreneurship with Professor Birton Cowden

Posted by Lily Cigale on Feb 19, 2016 4:46:36 PM

Dr. Cowden grew up working on his family's farm in Southern Illinois, learning a sense of control and innovation from an early age. As an undergraduate at the University of Illinois, Dr. Cowden studied management information systems and political science. He credits management information systems with helping him learn how logic works and how to create a system, and notes that political science forced him to ask big questions and look at problems from multiple angles. After undergrad, Dr. Cowden went on to get his PhD in business administration from St Louis University. 

Read More

Topics: 2016, summer

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts