ASK AN EXPERT
I asked Dr. Alexandrina Deschamps, Associate Dean of Commonwealth Honors College, and an expert on college admissions, for a list of five things to consider when applying for college. Here is the list she put together for us.
1. Address one or two specific reasons why attending college is a priority for you.
2. Don’t just list your extracurricular activities. Be concise but specific about one or two skills or life lessons that you have learned.
3. If you know what major you want to pursue, explain why and how much of a difference it could make to your academic success. If you are not sure of your major, mention why you want the opportunity to make the correct choice that works for your goals.
4. If you have a life goal (even a preliminary one), mention this and why it is important.
5. Consider mentioning how excited you are to meet new friends and peers and why.
Dr. Alexandrina Deschamps is the Associate Dean of Commonwealth Honors College and an Associate Professor of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Info: C.Ed., West Indies, 1975; M.Ed., Massachusetts at Amherst, 1988, Ed.D., 1996
Area(s) of research: Third world and global women's issues, development alternatives - theory and practice, feminist pedagogies, Black Feminist theory, transnational feminist activisms
Theorizing Black Feminisms
Caribbean Women Writing Resistance, Identity and Politics
Introduction to Women's Studies
Critical Perspectives in Women's Studies
Black Feminist/Womanist Theory
Transnational Women's Economic and Political Activisms
If you are interested in college admissions, the transition to college, the University of Massachusetts, and much more, you can sign up for our blog posts to the right. You may also in interested in UMass's summer programs, which include pre-college programs for high school students.