UMass Summer Programs Blog

blogSlider.png

Come to UMass Amherst for the summer of a lifetime!

Where Did The Week Go?

Posted by summercollegeumass on Jul 11, 2014 6:56:10 AM

Hello everyone!

I've mostly been in the office every day, trying to learn some basic code to optimize the website. Because of this I haven't been able to keep track of the student's daily activities but I see them at dinner sometimes and I've played soccer with them as well.

Last post, the Session B students (who have only been here a week) were just experiencing their first day, but at this point they're almost done with their first academic week! The session A students feel more than at home and I feel like I've known them forever.

On Tuesday night we had two special guests, from the Admissions Department of UMass Amherst and from Hampshire College, which is one of the five colleges in the Amherst area. It was very interesting to hear exactly what the people who accepted me at UMass are looking for. The insider tips were amazing and I wish I had known some of them when I was applying to college, so imagine how useful it will be for our students!

Walter Bottle also learned a lot from the Admissions Panel! Walter Bottle also learned a lot from the Admissions Panel!

Tuesday's workshop is part of the many pre-college workshops we will be hosting on Tuesday and Thursday nights; we really want students to be prepared for application time!

Directly after the workshop I headed down to the fields to start a pick-up soccer game, while others threw a frisbee around. We definitely have some good players and some others who... well, I can say we have a very wide spectrum of skill levels. If anything, that made it a very funny and enjoyable game.

Goooooooooooooooool! Goooooooooooooooool!

On Wednesday only caught a few of the students at dinner, but they all seemed to be alright and more than comfortable in this new environment. From what I heard they played football that night. Some of them also went to a Spinning class taught by one of our PAs, and others did yoga. I've run into a couple of students at the gym and I'm glad they are making use of our Rec Center!

I saw the students again on Thursday night at another one of our college prep workshops, during which our very own Anne Hutchinson gave a very detailed guide to tackling the Common App. Afterwards we headed down to the fields again to play some more soccer.

Anne Hutchinson on the best practices for the Common App Anne Hutchinson on best practices for the Common App

All in all, the students seem to have enough time to enjoy different activities at night while still making the most of the academic portion of Summer College.

This weekend students who signed up will be going to Six Flags on Saturday and to Boston on Sunday! I will be going to Six Flags, too, and some of the PAs will be going to Boston. I'll ask them for every detail about the Boston trip and pass it on to you next blog post!

Have an amazing weekend.

Topics: Session B, Session A

Subscribe to Email Updates