UMass Summer Programs Blog

blogSlider.png

Come to UMass Amherst for the summer of a lifetime!

The Real Start

Posted by summercollegeumass on Jul 2, 2014 9:03:40 PM

Hello again!

It's been two wonderful days at Summer College. On Tuesday the students finished their training and had a special dinner with their Principal Investigators (PIs, there should be a dictionary for all of the UMass acronyms, right?) and PAs. Then today, after a good night's sleep and an early start, the students started working in their labs!

Students and PIs enjoying Dinner Students and PIs enjoying Dinner

I got to spend a lot of time with the kids yesterday as I guided them to various buildings on campus. I can now put some names to faces, even though I don't spend as much as time with them as their PIs and PAs do. All of them seem very nice, and especially really motivated.

After finishing the second part of their Bio Boot Camp, students enjoyed a meal in the Worcester Dining Commons. With Summer New Student Orientation (NSO, add it to the acronym count) under way, the students had their first taste of how busy a Dining Commons (DCs to keep it short and sweet, as with everything) can become.

The Bio Boot Camp had students really busy and focused The Bio Boot Camp had students really busy and focused

After that I took them to Draper Hall so they could learn all about lab & fire safety from UMass' very own first responders. I actually learned a lot as well, such as how to properly use a fire extinguisher.

FIRE, don-t forget to PASS (remove Pin, Aim, Shoot and Sweep!) FIRE, don't forget to PASS (remove Pin, Aim, Shoot and Sweep!)

Later that day, after the heartbreaking USA loss, the students enjoyed a very special meal with their PAs and PIs. It was a great experience to have before actually starting their lab work together, which is the first thing they did today.

Jenna Carellini and Parissa Thepmankorn in their lab research Jenna Carellini and Parisa Thepmankorn in the Park lab

As time goes by, I can see how the kids are quickly adapting to life at Summer College. I'm excited to see what else they'll do during these six weeks, and of course, I'll let you know through the blog!

As always, if you want instant updates follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @UMassSummerCollege as well!

Topics: Session A

Subscribe to Email Updates