UMass Summer Programs Blog

blogSlider.png

Come to UMass Amherst for the summer of a lifetime!

Welcome to Summer College

Posted by summercollegeumass on Jun 30, 2014 6:00:39 AM

Hello students and parents!

The wonderful PAs who are taking care of the students The wonderful PAs who are taking care of our students

I am Jose Alvarado, a Junior majoring in Sport Management and the Social Media Marketing Intern for Summer College! I've seen the students maybe once or twice so far, but I can already tell they're really motivated to take part in the Research Intensives.

Today was their first official day, starting with a group breakfast in the Hampshire Dining Commons (Hamp for short in UMass lingo; we shorten everything, seriously). Trust me, you don't have to worry about what your children are eating. Award-winning UMass Dining features a wide variety of local, sustainable and healthy food.

After that the students went to the very new ISB (Integrated Sciences Building, told you we shorten everything) for the first part of Bio Boot Camp, where they learned some of the basic skills they'll need for working in the labs. Then they proceeded to get their UCards (I didn't get mine until a few days before classes started!) and enjoyed lunch together.

In the afternoon they went to Draper Hall to learn about safety in labs -- really essential to what they'll be doing. I sat with them and watched how every single issue was explained and solved with painstaking detail.

Think I'm lying? Here's a picture!

Draper 102 full for the EHS briefing Draper 102 full for the EHS briefing

The last time I saw them, the students were heading back to their rooms in one-year-old Sycamore Hall. Then they went to dinner and spent the rest of the day doing fun activities with their very capable PAs (Program Assistants, I'm not joking).

Tomorrow I will be leading them to ISB again to finish Bio Boot Camp. I can't wait to see them!

Before ending this post I do want to pitch our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (UMassSummerCollege)! Check back periodically on all social media outlets for more updates.

Topics: Session A

Subscribe to Email Updates